Friday, November 1, 2013

My MCBS Story



Before I started the MCBS Program, I was a little indecisive on returning back to school. With over 10 years from working in the industry, I have learned and grew from my personal life experiences. My dreams of working in the industry started with me wanting to be a rapper. I became an assistant to a group named The LOX in 2002. After I learned how much money you actually make as artists and at times being taken advantaged by a major label, I chose to take a different route. I took the name of the rap group that my sister and myself created and made it a promotional company named D.Y.M.E.ndz Inc, which stands for Driven Young Motivated Entrepreneurs. From promotions, to landing some PR jobs, then I started doing radio. I have always thought I wanted to make sure I could leave my mark in the industry as a radio personality/DJ, but then I started doing interviews for websites and publications around the country.

Never in a million years would I have thought being a writer would be so exciting. Just knowing how I can actually put certain situations in my own words, and others can relate to my articles is so amazing! Because of that, my eyes were beginning to open up to the world of journalism. I would say after the 5th article that I posted for a website called ThatsHipHop.com, I began to receive emails from various websites to cover events and give my input on hip hop projects that were being released from major music labels. Because of that, I started traveling the country, attending events, shaking hands with my peers, and meeting very important people in the industry.


I am going places I never thought I would be able to see, even getting the chance to meet and interview people that I respect and love. Because of that, I knew I wanted to pursue my career professionally as a journalist. I was just a little hesitant to really go for it, until finally my hard work paid off. I was offered a job at Complex Magazine and ever since I decided to pursue my passion for media. It was just one more thing I felt I had to accomplish. This gave me the ambition to attend Full Sail for the MCBS Program.



*For my personal video, the program I used to create the video was IMovie. All Pictures: provided by and sole property of me. I provided the voice over audio. I used "Hip Hop INC Alternative Mix" as background music, provided by Westar Music. Video editing and direction was also done by myself.*



No comments:

Post a Comment